I had two of these nasty stomach bugs last year. The first was mid-February. Just like this year. Baby Girl has had them along with me. Poor little suggums. WTH? I decided to do a little research to find out more about this nastiness. Sorry for the "WebMD" post, but y'all should be aware of what's going on in germ world. Maybe it will help prevent your family from attack!
Here's the news clip that explains it perfectly.
If you're lazy like me, you would rather read the Cliff Notes:
1. This nasty stomach bug is a new and mean strain of the Norovirus from Australia (damn Aussies!).
2. Incubation (time from exposure to symptoms) is anywhere from 4 hrs to 2 days.
3. Symptoms last from 2-3 days and include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, chills, and headache. Dehydration is the biggest risk of complications.
4. IMPORTANT: Hand sanitizer and standard cleaning products DO NOT kill this virus. The only thing that works is cleaning with bleach and washing your hands in warm water with soap for at least 20 seconds.
5. This virus is extremely contagious. Here's a little perspective. The influenza virus (respiratory flu) is usually spread through about 1000 virus particles (sneeze or cough) but this Norovirus is spread through about 18 particles. That's nothing!
6. The virus can last on surfaces (door handles, countertops, shopping carts, escalators) for up to 2 weeks (compared to the flu which is 2 days). OMG. That makes me want to never the house ever again! (I'm looking at you Children's Museum on Saturday.)
7. You can still be contagious 2-3 days after symptoms disappear. Yikes! If you see me at the grocery store today stay far far away!!!
I'm off to scour my house with Clorox wipes, wash the linens, and hopefully eat a real meal (though it would be lovely if those 5 lbs didn't jump back on my body). Hope everyone is well and that you don't get this nasty bug. If you want to lose a quick 5 lbs, come on over and you can lick my sheets. ; P
p.s. Why do I drink Baby Mama Juice? Aside from the obvious (see above), we missed our special Princess Tea Party Monday Morning, the Neighborhood Watch Mtg that I set-up and was in charge of, school on Tuesday, and going to Newberry yesterday and today to help my mom post hip replacement surgery. Ugh. Remind me not to make plans mid-February next year!